Did you know that October 28 is Make a Difference Day? The Go, Green Team! blog offers these suggestions for making a difference in your neighborhood community, or your own home. Here are some things you can do on October 28 and year round:
- Tell someone you appreciate them, and what they do for the environment or other cause.
- Donate to your charity or cause of choice, whether local, regional, or national. Give old clothes and linens to Threadcycle and keep these reusable and recyclable items out of the landfill.
- Plant a garden of season fruits and vegetables for you and your family. Get tips on natural yard and garden practices here, including how to recognize bugs that are beneficial to your garden from those that do damage to it.
- Buy locally from the neighborhood business, thrift shop, or farmers market.
- Learn how to be an Eco consumer. Find out about greening your holidays, repairing items rather than replacing them with new ones, and getting off junk mail lists.
Have some free time on Saturdays? Sign up to volunteer at a local conservation site!
- The Dirt is a calendar of hands-on volunteer events. Opportunities include planting trees, saving salmon, and salvaging native plants. Find dates and locations convenient for you.
- 1 Million Trees is a project King County is committed to for the health of the environment now and in the future. Help King County complete its goal to plant one million trees before 2020 to help reduce carbon pollution and respond to the effects of climate change.
For more information on conserving land, habitat, and other resources, check out our environmental stewardship page.
Want to have a Make a Difference Day at your school? Here are a few options:
- Join a Green Team or Environmental Club today! Whether you’re an elementary school or secondary school green team, make every day Make a Difference Day!
- Schedule one of our workshops on waste reduction, recycling, and resource conservation for your class.
No action is too big or small. Pay it forward for the future of our planet. Make a difference.
Let us know what you did for Make a Difference Day! Leave us a comment down below. We love to hear from our readers.