Did you know that Mother’s Day has its roots in the 1850s, when women in West Virginia made time to pause, honor their mothers, and seek peace in their community?
Mothers, peace, and community are all cause to celebrate. What better way than with green gift-giving ideas that also honor Mother Earth?
Give Earth-friendly gifts
For this Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 8, here are some ideas for environmentally friendly gifts for the mothers and mentors in your life:
- Fair trade chocolate. Look for Fair Trade brands.
- Local, organic flowers. Try visiting your local farmer’s market.
- A plant for your home, yard, or container garden
Consider giving experiences rather than stuff. The stuff in our lives takes energy to create and uses energy when we throw it away or recycle it. Experiences are ways to honor a special person in your life. They build relationships and memories, usually without leaving much waste behind. Research shows that experiences bring us more happiness than possessions do. Anticipation of the experience and the memories it creates are the source of that happiness. Give some happiness for Mother’s Day and make memories for the future!
- Plant a garden together. Seattle Tilth offers many resources and opportunities for kids, teens, and adults to learn about gardening.
- Enjoy a walk in a King County park and have a picnic with a view. Visit one of King County’s pesticide-free parks.
- Find a performance of local musicians and listen to some music together.
- Take a dance lesson or attend a social dance.
- Visit a museum together.
- Write a card to your mother telling her why you appreciate her and include a favorite photo of the two of you. Send one to your grandmother or a mentor in your life.
Plant a tree
King County has a goal to plant One Million Trees in King County by 2020. You can help! Trees provide habitat for native creatures and keep our air fresh with oxygen. King County invites every individual and community group throughout the county to join this campaign – whether you’re planting a street tree outside your home or organizing a volunteer work party at your company, everyone can make a difference. Until May 13, you have the opportunity to enter a drawing for two tickets to a concert in Marymoor Park.
Have a happy Mother’s Day! We’d love to hear about your experiences and other ideas on this topic. Share how you choose to celebrate in the comments below!